Friday, May 09, 2008

doctor update

I had my 24-week doctor's appointment yesterday, which was very routine. I asked him about the link between your mother's labor and delivery and your own, because my mom had a very tough time with all three of us, and he seems to think that there's no correlation (Kevin and I have the opinion that, although it's not necessarily an indicator, it could be a factor, based on anecdotal evidence). I also asked him about the link between your own birth weight and your baby's (I was only 6 pounds, 4 ounces, and 3 weeks late; I know that's shocking), and again, the docttor didn't think there was any connection, although I've read that there is. So according to him, I have basically nothing to indicate how I might do in labor and delivery. Fabulous.

He did say that he would monitor the baby's weight closely once I hit 36 weeks (including another ultrasound), and that he doesn't want me to try to deliver a baby that weighs more than 8 pounds the old-fashioned way, although I've heard that those weight estimates can be very wrong. He also said he wouldn't let me go more than a week past my due date. And I can elect to have a c-section if I want. I know I still have 15 weeks, but people have been asking me about this stuff, and I'm starting to think about it, so I just wanted to get his perspective.

He also gave me a recommendation for a hospital in Boston, should I have any problems during the HOW conference, which is a week from Saturday. I don't anticipate anything going wrong, but it's good to have that info. I'll see the doctor again in 4 weeks for a check up and my glucose tolerance test. That's all for now!

1 comment:

Katie said...

It sounds like you are starting to get down to the nitty gritty. Don't worry about the gd test. The sugar water tastes like orange soda.