Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Project Details

Okay, so now that I've had some time to recover, let me tell you about how our project went on Saturday. After I got some of the cabinets put together last week I realized that I was an inch and a half short of space for the corner cabinet, so it would need to be cut down. The corner base cabinet was also about two inches too deep for the space. So my cousin Kevin volunteered to help me cut everything down with some professional tools he had access to. So I headed over there Saturday morning after I had spent the night before verifying my measurements. I was so thankful for Kevin's help. It took about an hour to cut everything down and he did a much better job than I could have.
I made quick stop to Home Depot on my way home and ended up leaving with a new table saw! (See the photo above) I had talked to Stan earlier this week and he convinced me that it was something that I would be sure to use all the time in the future. I decided to get it then "in case" any of my measurements were off. After some "customization" on my corner cabinet I had it up and it was a perfect fit. The only problem I ran into was the fact that our new range hood prevents the door from opening all the way, oh well.
The base cabinet came together pretty easily and slid perfectly in to the space. Then I remembered that I had to install the door on the front. Suddenly my perfect fit was about an inch too wide. Oops! Glad I bought that table saw. I cut it down and it was perfect.
Everything came together pretty well, but it was a full day's work.
On Sunday, Sarah went out for some cabinet accessories. Among other things, she found some lazy susan's that fit perfectly into the corner cabinet. I went to a tailgate party before the Bengal's game so when I got home, I wasn't too helpful.
We've still got some things to do, but it is coming together. I can't wait to get back to Ikea!!!!

4 comments:

Project Man said...

AWESOME!!!!!!!!! I love tools!!!!!

Kathy said...

I think that the table saw was a wise investment if you plan to continue remodeling. I knew you could do it. It really looks great.

Anonymous said...

I'm impressed... Very impressed!

Katie said...

I saw it in person last night and it looks fantastic!!