Monday, November 17, 2008

our big week


As you know, I returned to work last week, and Libby started daycare with Aunt Katie. All in all it was a successful week. I managed to get both Libby and myself where we needed to go on time each day and to pump three bottles of milk a day so that we don't need to supplement with formula, which were the things I was most worried about. I feel settled at work now and enjoyed seeing my co-workers again. And Libby seems to be doing great with Aunt Katie. Katie keeps a detailed record of Libby's day, and she sent us photos of her twice last week. She's giving her lots of good playtime and love. And it's nice to have someone else (who's already a mom) to weigh in on her care. I like seeing Casey every day too. All three of them wave to me from the window as I leave each day. Sometimes it seems too good to be true that I lucked into such a great daycare situation. There's nowhere else I'd rather have her staying if she can't be home with me.

It does stink to get up at 6 a.m. and not get to work until 9 a.m! But that's the drill by the time I eat breakfast, give Kenzie his pill, get myself ready, feed Libby, get Libby ready, pack her bottles/my pump/my lunch/her diaper bag/my purse, take Gilmore out, put our coats on, load her in the car, take her to Katie's and drive to work. I'm ready for a second breakfast and a nap by the time I get to the office!

Libby has been kind of cranky in the evening. We think she might have a bellyache from taking bottles during the day and/or taking her vitamins, which she just started this week. (They recommend that breastfed babies get vitamin D supplements now.) Or she might just be adjusting to her new routine. Really, she just wants to be held all evening, which isn't too hard to accommodate when Kevin is home, but it was really challenging Tuesday night when he was out of town. I'd LOVE to just sit and hold her all night, but I have to find time to eat dinner, take care of pets, wash bottles, etc. And it's been taking several attempts to get her to bed. Last night we started our bedtime routine at 9:30 and she finally fell asleep at midnight. Luckily she slept until 7 a.m. after that, which she's done three times in the past week. It's just really frustrating when she's sound asleep, and just as I start to drift off she wakes up crying. Kevin tries to help, but often the only thing that calms her down is to nurse a little more. I'm hoping this phase will pass as she settles into a new routine. And, needless to say, I'm not looking forward to all of Kevin's upcoming travel. I don't want him to feel guilty, but rather, want him to know how much we appreciate having him here to help in the evenings!

All in all, though, things are good. I'm happy we survived the first week and that we have some very short weeks to look forward to during the holidays. And I'm very thankful for my Mondays off!

5 comments:

Kathy said...

Libby is growing like a weed. I too am so happy that Katie can care for Libby. We all know that she is being well cared for and loved. Daycare can be scary when you don't know the person caring for your child. You better be taking vitamins too. Sounds like a hectic morning. Looking forward to seeing you soon. Will see Kevin this week!!!

Susan said...

It's true about needing a snack and a nap by the time you sit down at your desk chair. It's really quite a workout, but I can tell you from personal experience that it DOES get easier as the kiddo gets a bit older. It's never easy, but it's not quite as grueling.

Oh, and kudos on the pumping! That's awesome. :)

Unknown said...

Little Liby is getting so big! So glad it has worked out with Katie watching her. Have a good week.

Katie said...

We are having fun with Libby and it's great training for Casey. He really wants to help with her, but there isn't much he can do yet. I hear you on the second breakfast bit. Casey used to get up at 5:30 and by about 9:30 I was dying of hunger again. Now you will understand why we eat dinner at 5:30.

Amanda said...

Hang in there! I'm sure this new routine is difficult, but you're such a strong, organized woman. I know it'll get better. Luv ya, miss ya!