Monday, November 10, 2008

all good things …


… must come to an end.

Today is my last day of maternity leave. Tomorrow I start back to work 30 hours a week. I'll work 4 days a week, Tuesday through Friday, and Thursday will be a 6-hour day so I can leave early and get our weekly grocery shopping done.

I'm pretty sad about ending my gig as a stay-at-home-mom, but I'm trying to think of it as less of an end and more of a change. I feel blessed that I'll still have Mondays with my girl, and I have zero anxiety about taking her to "daycare" since she'll be in the very capable and loving hands of her Aunt Katie. I'm just bummed that I won't be able to spend each day with her and that I'll only have a few hours with her in the evenings on those days when I am working. I am looking forward to seeing my co-workers on a regular basis again, though. They're such dear friends and I've missed them. I haven't missed all the outside stresses that the working world brings, though.

I'm going to continue to breastfeed—my goal is to stick with it for year—so I'll also have to pump bottles of milk twice a day while I'm at work. Little Libs is worth it, though! And Kevin is starting a 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. schedule this week, so he'll be able to pick to Libby up and spend some time with her before I get home each day. Unfortunately, he's going to be traveling a lot between now and Christmas, so Libby and I will be going it alone some days, and I know we'll both miss him very much. Tomorrow he's off for Veteran's Day, though, so he'll get to spend the whole day with his favorite girl. Please wish all of us (Aunt Katie, too) luck with this big, new transition!

6 comments:

Amanda said...

I can't believe it's time for you to go back to work already! Best wishes on your first day back. I hope you're not too overwhelmed.

Kathy said...

I too feel good about her being in Aunt Katie's care. It's too bad that Kevin's travels start at about the same time you go back to work. I'm sure he and Libby will have a good day tomorrow. Libby will always feel loved so she will be alright. I know you will miss her.

Katie said...

We are going to have such fun. And, Casey is going to have a practice sibline before the new one comes. I think your schedule will be a good balance between work and family. And, we will always be a phone call away!

Kara Gebhart Uhl said...

Will be thinking of you tomorrow! I can't believe it's already time for you to go back! Four days a week, though, that's wonderful. And I'm jealous of that grocery shopping time ... seems perfect to me. Good luck! :)

Pam said...

That is a very nice picture of the three of you. Hope your transition back at work goes well.

Candy said...

Gramma and Pap have been thinking of you today, I know you are counting the minutes to get home and hold that sweet angel in your arms.
It happens to all of us working moms at some point.
Love to all of you.