Monday, October 30, 2006

Kitchen - Phase One

As Sarah has been indicating, we are working on some updates to our kitchen. Knowing that kitchens and bathrooms are the best way to increase your homes value, we decided to make the kitchen a little more appealing and hopefully a little more functional.
Our house was built in 1940 and the kitchen remains in relatively original condition, save for a new floor, an epoxy treatment over the tilework, and a few "utility" cabinets. Given the layout of our kitchen, we knew that a total remodel would not really give us that much bang for our buck (and a totally new kitchen can mean BIG bucks). We also wanted to retain as much of the historical integrity of the original kitchen as possible. So we decided to keep the few cabinets that are original to the house and replace the cabinets that were added later (they are really ugly and boring). So I decided to play around with Ikea's Kitchen Planner Tool and came up with a solution we were both really excited about. In the corner above the stove, I am installing a corner cabinet, a wall cabinet, and a cabinet over the stove with an exhaust fan. We're also adding a deep cabinet above the refrigerator and possibly another wall cabinet above the dishwasher to replace the pot rack. The piece I am most excited about having and most nervous about installing is a corner base cabinet that will go next to the stove. It extends out of the corner 49" and has a two-tier half-lazy susan. According to my measurements, it is going to be a "custom" fit, but I think I can do it.
As part of this project, I am also painting the existing cabinets to match the new ones and painting the wall a light jadite-green shade (trying to stay in keeping with the 1940's era and complement our red accents). As of tonight, I have prepped and painted the original cabinets and am letting the paint set a little more before putting on the new hardware. I must say, they look, pretty good.
My next step is probably going to be removing the old cabinets. Then we will paint the walls, I'll build and install the new cabinets and we'll be done!
Sounds easy enough. We'll see...
I'll keep you posted on my progress!

3 comments:

Kathy said...

I am excited to see the kitchen when you have it finished. You are such a perfectionist, I am sure it will be great. What color are you painting the cabinets? Looking forward to the pictures.

Anonymous said...

Everything sounds great, and I can't wait to see how it turns out.

Pictures?

Anonymous said...

Where have I been, I missed a few days checking you blog and now you're remodeling your kitchen. How exciting. You know you can always call us to help--and I'll send over Jon to do the work. Sounds like you have put a lot of thought and work into keeping the style of the house.
Linda