Sunday, October 15, 2006

Guess your age, weight, or NAME???

Yesterday Sarah, Katie, and I went up to King's Island to work a volunteer shift for Save the Animals Foundation. Throughout the year King's Island provides several non-profit organizations the opportunity to work their game and food areas, then the organization is "paid" by KI for the time they work. The volunteers also receive free passes to King's Island for a future visit.
So we got there around 3:30 pm to get signed in, go through orientation, and be assigned to our area in games. I had been looking forward to this for a few weeks and kept telling everyone that I my dream job was to work at the "Guess Your Age & Weight" booth. I was pretty sure that they weren't going to give that job to a first day volunteer, but I was hoping. I'd always wanted to find out how they did it, what was their secret. So the three of us get to our assigned areas and our "supervisor" (I think he was about 14 years old) asks if one of us would want to work the "Guess Your Age & Weight" booth! Katie & Sarah both pointed at me and I started jumping up and down. I couldn't believe it, my wildest dream was about to come true. I headed over to the booth to learn this exciting new "skill."
When I got there, I found out that we were also doing "guess your name." Seriously. It was my job to try and guess someone's name. By looking at them. And guessing. Seriously. People were going to pay me $5 to try and guess their name. Seriously.
IT WAS AWESOME! They gave me a few pointers on how to work the crowd as they passed and how to make small talk with my customers. This usually led them to believe that I was playing some kind of Jedi mind trick on them, which I wasn't. I was just stalling until I could think of a name. Guessing names is hard. I usually just thought of people that I knew or names that I thought would be popular for their age range. So this went on for several hours and I was actually doing a pretty good job of getting people to play. Once they saw how easy it was to win, it was totally worth $5 to them. A lot of people actually thought I had some sort of special ability for guessing names. Nope. I sure don't. I was blown away when I finally did guess one right! Her name was Caitlin, but she went by Katie. I guessed Caitlin, but I was so excited that I got it right, I gave her a prize anyway.
But I wasn't just guessing names. Some people still wanted to stick with the classics, age, weight, and month of birth. The month of birth is pretty easy because you only have to be within 2 months, so I got a few of those right. The age and weight were a lot more dangerous. Especially with female customers. I was trying to balance honesty, flattery, and offense. I didn't do so well. I did guess one age just about right, and I actually did guess one weight exactly. One woman won a prize, but probably didn't walk away too happy. I guessed that she was 42 years old (and I thought I was being generous) but she was 32!!! I felt really bad, but she did NOT look one year older than Sarah. Oh, well. Live and learn.
Katie and Sarah didn't have as much fun as I did. Katie was in charge of some virtual reality game and Sarah was in charge of selling tickets for the Days of Thunder go-cart races. Anyway, I had the best time ever. It was so much fun and now I know how the "experts" do it. They just make it up.

5 comments:

Project Man said...

I wanna do that next year! It sounds like so much fun. I bet you had a blast working the crowd.

Anonymous said...

OMG, what a hoot, Kevin. I wish I could've watched you doing this!!!

Kathy said...

I too wish I could have seen you working the crowd. It sounds like a fun day. Never would have guessed it would have been your dream job at King's Island, but I am sure you were good at it.

sarah said...

I didn't even get to see him. Remember, I was selling $6 and $3 tickets to Days of Thunder. It would have been so much easier on my numb fingers if it were $5 and $1.

Katie said...

I got to see him in action...it was prime Kevin. It was pretty similar to watching him sell Beer at a Bengals game!!

Katie