Monday, June 09, 2008

shower number one




This weekend we traveled to Edgerton to visit Kevin's family and for our first baby shower. Saturday was a relaxing day. We got to see Kurt's family and both of Kevin's grandmothers, and spent the day with his mom and dad. We had the shower Sunday. The cake, plates and napkins had a Kanga and Roo theme--very cute! The cake was delicious--layers of white cake with raspberry filling and white icing. There were also sweet little white chocolate, coin-shaped, pink candies with baby-related items molded into them. And Christy made yummy punch! We played a few games, which Casey, Chloe and Cayla facilitated. One thing they do at showers in Kevin's hometown that's different from our Cincinnati traditions is to give all the game prizes to the guest of honor. So I got lots of little--but important--baby items like bottle supplies, washcloths, hangers and burp cloths just from the games. Kevin helped me open presents. We got lots of great stuff and had fun oohing and ahhing over all the adorable baby clothes. Two of my favorites are the pink-and-white diaper bag tote that Kevin's mom made for me and the little pink armchair Kurt, Christy and the kids gave us (you can see it in the photos; it will be her "watch me grow" chair for those of you familiar with the early days of Katie Fanelli's blog). We'll also cherish the afghan Kevin's Grandma Whitman made for her (pink, green and white) and the silverware set from Grandma Engler. Kevin's mom has already started a scrapbook for the baby, which is awesome because I don't like to make scrapbooks, but I do love to look at them! We got home around 10:30 last night, so it was a full weekend. I took the day off to relax and catch up on some chores; Kevin had to work. Things are slowing down a bit for him, though, and we're really looking forward to our Cincinnati shower in two weeks!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

A "watch me grow" chair! We hope you set up a site like Katie's.
Sounds like a lot of fun, and nice gifts too.

Kathy said...

The visit was too short, but we had a great time. I too am looking forward to the Cincinnati shower!

Anonymous said...

Sarah,

I am really sorry I didn't get to be at the shower but I knew that you would have a great time at Kathy's. I am really looking forward to watching your baby grow as well!

JoAnn