Monday, April 14, 2008

nursery notes

I've had a chance to rest and I'm still pretty worn out, but I did want to let you know some of the highlights of our nursery makeover. This may turn into some product endorsements, because I found some pretty cool stuff.
I think I had already mentioned that we'd found a good zero VOC paint at Sherwin Williams, the color we chose was "Livable Green" and I would call it lovable green, because we love it! I did notice that there was not as much of a painty smell in the room and hardly any odor now. I was hoping to use two gallons for the room and closets, but ran out before I could get to the closets. So back to the paint store and I decided to get a different color for a fun surprise! I found a pink that matches the bedding and we love it too! Finally, thanks to a suggestion from Nonny (Sarah's Mom), I used the chocolate brown sample we bought as an accent color on the dormer wall, which really blends well with the green walls and the pink curtains.
For lighting, we knew we needed a ceiling fan for our second floor and I ended up having to get what I wanted in three parts. The first was a simple white, quality fan with smaller blades, which I found from Hunter. I don't like exposed light bulbs, so we had to find a covered light, which Hunter also carried. Next, we wanted to be able to dim the lights and adjust the fan speed using a dimmer switch and I found this really cool option from Lutron. It provides you with seven levels each for the fan and the light, which will be really nice for a baby that we don't want to wake up with bright lights or clanking chain pulls.
Again, I wanted to bring a little more fun for my little girlie and we thought that every little girl should have a chandelier. So we replaced the copper pendant light in the dormer alcove with a sparkly little light fixture from Ikea. Of course, we kept the original fixture, but this just seemed to be too perfect.
The crib came together pretty easily and it was exactly what we wanted. My favorite feature is the fact that all of the drop down gate hardware is internal, so you don't see any of the mechanisms.
Finally, I had to focus on the floor. Our hardwood upstairs has seen better days and so we had thought about getting carpet, but weren't too keen on the cost and didn't really think we'd love the look. I had thought about refinishing the floors, but knew that was too big a project to take on. So I went to Home Depot and found this product called Rejuvenate, which is a total "As Seen on TV" product, but it looked like what I was looking for so I took a gamble and bought a bottle. Seriously, this gamble has paid off! It is still not perfect, but holy cow does it look a thousand times better. Best of all, the process was super easy. I did miss a few spots along the edge, and that just proves how well it worked because there is a huge difference. So if you need to get your floors back in shape, give it a try!
We also bought a few different rugs, but I'm not sure if we've found the right one, so we'll keep looking. One of them has made its way over to our room and may just stay there.
Cross your fingers that Babies R Us calls to tell us our glider rocker is in. I'm so anxious to get everything "done." Sorry if I was a bit long-winded, but I was pretty excited about all of this stuff.

2 comments:

Kathy said...

I love the look. I thought it was just the way the light hit it that the walls looked a different color in the dormer but when I looked at the picture again, I can see it is a different color. Nice. I thought that it was a different light fixture. Like the way the light dances on th walls. The floors really looks great, but as it had a big bed and all before I never really noticed them before. Also love the pink closet. Now you have to take it easy and take care of youselves - Please!!

Candy said...

A beautiful room in a beautiful home, lucky little girl.

Nice Job.