Sunday, March 26, 2006

An Old Fashioned Barn Raising


While Sarah was out of town this weekend, I invited some of the guys over for an old fashioned barn raising. Well, maybe not so old fashioned (and maybe not quite a barn), but we did build a new 7'x7' shed for the back yard. Matt Hulme, Matt Hood, and my cousin Jon Gelhausen all came over Saturday afternoon to help me put it together. Most of our time was spent leveling out the ground before we laid the floor. This was a big achievement for me because I tend to hate the prep work portion of ANY project. I'd rather just start doing it; a system that usually ends in disaster. Fortunately the ground was pretty soft which made leveling a little less difficult. The shed itself went together without too much trouble, we actually followed the directions. Among the four of us we were able to figure it all out and the whole project came together in about 3 hours. I think it looks good and I'm really proud of the fact that we all worked together to make it happen.
As soon as we finished, I started loading it up with stuff while Matt Hulme and Jon went to Kroger to get some steaks for dinner and Matt Hood put together the fire pit my brother's family got us for Christmas. When Matt and Jon got back, they started working on getting the fire going while I fired up the grill. I got a little nervous when Jon grabbed the gas can and walked over to the fire pit, but they got it going and after dinner we spent some time hanging out around the fire. In the end we had a really fun day with "just the guys."
And Sarah was very happy to come home on Sunday with the shed together and everything put away.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

It looks like a really nice building. The work is always easier when shared with friends!!
The windows and skylights make it much nicer since it won't be so dark inside. I'm sure Sarah was glad it was all done when she got home.

You did good!!

Katie said...

That's hilarious, Kathy! Only a woman could point out that there are skylights in a shed. My husband helped put it together and probably didn't notice that feature. HA!

Anonymous said...

Wow, I'm impressed!

Project Man said...

I hope that someday I will be invited to a barn raising.... Aren't the women folk also supposed to participate in a barn raising? Kids/animals too?

kevin said...

Gilmore definitely helped and Toshie watched from the back door. So if he counts for children and Tosh counts for women, I guess we had everything we needed.

Matt said...

Katie, I knew there were skylights, I put them in.

Kevin, don't forget we also had help from the big loose dog that wandered up.