Sunday, July 01, 2007

What Have I Been Doing










As I mentioned in my last post, I've been doing a lot of stuff around the house, so I thought I'd give you a couple of details. Here are some pictures of our basement, which has been the bulk of my busy-ness. After we had the "flooding" (which quickly drained away and dried out. This has happened about three or four times to us) I decided that it was time for me to repaint the basement walls and the floor. So I decided to do this while Sarah was at the HOW Conference. Like most projects I choose to tackle, this one involved about 130 "prep" steps that I was not really anticipating. I usually like to just start a project with the step that will get me to the final product, but I'm learning that it really doesn't work that way. I had to scrape off all of the loose paint on the walls, ceiling, and floor, sand everything down, wash everything, wash it again, vacuum, and then all of the other little projects that come up as I'm moving things around. So I didn't actually get into any painting until the second day of the project and painting a basement is a lot more involved than painting a bedroom. With all the pipes, uneven surfaces, wires, and on top of it all had to do all of the trim! Usually Sarah and I work as a team on this stuff, but I was on my own (I owe her a lot of credit for everything we've done together, trim is the hardest part!).
So as hard as I worked on my own, I didn't get everything done while she was gone. I had to save the floor for the next weekend. While she was gone, I also refinished the kitchen sink; which was another tedious, multi-step process. I felt bad because the sink required 5 days to cure, so when she got home on Wednesday I had to tell her that we couldn't use the sink until Saturday. But that's all over and it looks much better than before.
The pictures of the basement don't really do it justice, you'll have to stop by and see for yourself. We did some reorganizing along with this project and I ended up moving my work area out into the garage, but I think that works better. When I'm making a mess I can just sweep it outside!

2 comments:

Kathy said...

WOW Kevin. You really were busy!!
I really like the floor. We will have to check it out. It may be something we will want to do in the garage. I hope Dad's work area looks like that when he gets the building done. I am anxious to see the sink too. Hope we can come down soon.

Anonymous said...

As always, it looks nice--so tidy, too!