Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Parties and Parades

This weekend our very good friend Liz came to visit for two reasons, my birthday party and Harry Potter. She, Sarah, and I all went down to Barnes & Noble Friday night so that we could be among the first to get our hands on the seventh and final book of the Harry Potter series. While we were there we had a lot of fun perusing the bookshelves, playing Potter trivia, and checking out all the Muggles dressed up in wizarding wardrobes. We got our books and read for a few hours that night. I got up early the next morning (thanks to a barking Gilmore) and read some more to catch up with Liz. I determined this weekend that I am not a super fast reader; I'm not terribly slow either, but Liz literally doubled my pace. We read most of the day Saturday and all day Sunday, which sounds like kind of a weird way to entertain out of town guests, but none of us could put the book down. Liz finished Sunday afternoon; Sarah and I read into the night and we both finished Monday night (we did stop to go to work). I'm not going to tell you anything about the book, but if you haven't read all of the Potter series yet, do it. If you enjoy fiction ( I know not everyone loves it) but these are really great, well told stories. Anyway, I'll let you enjoy this lovely picture of the three of us at the party on Friday night.

Saturday we took a break from reading to go out to dinner for my birthday. Matt and Amanda met us at Teak in Mt. Adams for sushi and afterwards we met up with some more friends for drinks across the street. It was a really nice, low-key evening spent with some of my best friends.



Tonight was the 115th annual Norwood Day Parade and my staff at work and I walked in the parade, waving at our friends and customers as their children begged and screamed for candy. Sarah and Gilmore joined us and we had a lot of fun. What better way to spend your birthday than walking up "Main Sreet" with everyone cheering and waving.
So that's how I celebrated entering into the last year of my twenties. Reading, eating sushi, and a parade!

5 comments:

Kathy said...

Sounds like you had a great birthday. Wish I had been there. I miss you and will see you soon.

Katie said...

OK, the picture of you guys in "Harry Glasses" is hilarious. And, in the 5/3 rd pic, Gilmore is cleary saying, "where'd that other dog go?"

sarah said...

That photo of us at the HP party is the absolute worst, which makes it so perfect! We laughed so hard we cried when we saw it.

Anonymous said...

Happy belated birthday, Kevin! Did you get new glasses (the ones in the b-day cake pic, not the Harry P. ones!)? Either way, I hadn't noticed until now; I like them!

I read the first HP book and thought it was good, but I wasn't driven to continue. Maybe I need to try again!

Unknown said...

Thanks Sarah for visiting my new blog. I'm always checking in with you guys. Happy Birthday to Kevin!!