Saturday, February 24, 2007

pickin' & grinnin'... eventually

So about nine years ago, my parents bought me a guitar for Christmas. I was in college at the time and a lot of my friends were music majors, so I thought I needed learn to play an instrument (besides the bass drum, a la high school marching band). Well, nine years later, that guitar has moved with me about seven times, but I've never learned to play. So I decided that 2007 would be the year I'd learn and today I went to the guitar shop, had them tune it for me, bought a electronic tuner, an instructional DVD, and some picks. When I got home today, I popped in the DVD and got started. When I positioned my fingers to play my first chord, I suddenly remembered why I stopped trying to learn nine years ago... it hurts!!!!! Your fingertips have to build up a callous where you press down the strings, and when you don't have one, it's like pressing your fingers onto a dull razor. And then holding them there!! Plus my fingers are kind of big and I had a hard time fitting them all in and not hitting other strings.
The instructor suggested using liquid bandage on the ends of your fingers until you build a callous, so that is what I'm doing! But it was pretty cool. I was actually able to play two chords, D and A. Now I have to practice moving from one chord to another. We'll see how it goes. I figured I would post about it so that all of you can hold me accountable!

4 comments:

Kathy said...

2007 must be the year of the guitar! Aunt Karen is learning how to play and Dad got himself one this fall, but as yet has not tried to play it. Good luck, I know you will do well.

Anonymous said...

Holding my fingers against a dull razor? Ouch! I'm sure I'd give up in about five minutes... but it sounds like you really want to follow through. So, get at it, Jimi!

Project Man said...

OK ~ time for all the guitar playing wannabes..... Long story short (Pap ~ aka Bill Hayes.... or Sarah & Katie;s Grandpa) bought me a Yamaha 6 string over 30 years ago. It has moved with me more than 7 times with the intention that I would eventuall learn to play. I replaced all the strings last year and bought an electronic tuner. I can strum and play chords ~ even change them (sort of) but want to do better and finally learn to play. Candy bought me a McNally Strumstick Grande ~ which I also intent to learn to play. Maybe someday we will be able to strum in harmony!

sarah said...

Carmen is learning how to play the guitar right now too. Must be the "in" thing for 2007, like Kathy said!