Wednesday, February 14, 2007

No School, Mom!





F+W is officially closed today! I can't remember the last time I had a snow day. Yesterday I worked from home because we got a big snow/ice/rain/sleet/freezing rain storm, which made for layers of icy fun. Kevin had to work and actually was able to take the one completely clear route home so he didn't get home too late. Of course, Fifth Third is open today.

There's so much ice on the trees and power lines that 80,000 people are without power (it was 122,000 when I went to bed last night). Ours went out for about an hour twice yesterday, but luckily it came back on. They're saying some people may not have power back until tomorrow night because they have to bring crews up from the Carolinas to help out. I guess many of the problems are individual lines to houses, so they're having to literally restore power house by house. There's a line down in front of our house, but I guess it's not ours, thank god. We do have two evergreens reaching all the way down to the ground (in the pic above); they're usually about 15 feet tall! Our giant oak tree in the back has limbs hanging down past our deck. So even though it's very pretty, it's pretty scary too. A 9-year-old girl was killed by a falling tree while walking her dog yesterday before we had even half of the ice we have now, which is so, so sad. I've been very cautious about keeping Gilmore out from under the oak tree in the back. BTW, he loves the snow!

I've heard from Katie, Matt, Melissa and my mom, and everyone is fine. I'm just crossing my fingers that no trees or power lines fall around my house while I'm home today. They're expecting a lot more of that to happen. I'll keep you posted.

In other news, today is Gilmore and Valentine's 2nd birthday. For those of you who don't know, Valentine is Gilmore's biological sister/cousin (Katie's dog). And happy Valentine's Day to all!

6 comments:

Project Man said...

Once agaian ~ we have been watching your weather from the 7,000 ft. level. This storm is unbelievable. Binghamtom NY is supposed to get 20" to 30" of snow today! YIKES!!! I hope you are able to maintain power. Stay safe & warm.

Candy said...

Happy Birthday Valentine & Gilmore,

Happy Valentine Anniversary Stan & Candy!

Kathy said...

Happy Birthday Gilmore!! Love, Grandma & Grandpa Whitman.

I am so glad you are all safe and warm. I too have had two days off work. All schools have been closed in the county for two days. (Library too!!) Also Kurt's kids have not have school in Indiana for two days.We are still under a blizzard warning and we are at a level 3 storm warning. If you venture out on the road you better have a really good reason or you could get a ticket! Keep warm!!

Katie said...

I've enjoyed the snow days but somehow it is different as an adult. I don't recall ever worrying about road conditions, tree limbs crashing to the ground, and power outages as a kid. As with everything, ignorance is bliss.

Anonymous said...

I don't think we have it quite as bad as you guys in Ohio, but we had enough freezing rain and snow that Katie's school was closed and all three of us were home.

I made a big pot of the Cindy/Sarah soup (Katie loved it--I think because she witnessed that whole stick of butter going in!), but I got basically no work done all day long... Katie H., I never had to worry about that when I was a kid, either.

Anyway, glad you guys are all OK. I hope everyone's power comes back on soon... brr...

sarah said...

We're glad you're safe and sound too Susan. It's funny: I think 4 different people made that soup this week! I hope everyone else likes it as much as I do.