Sunday, December 03, 2006

We finally found it!

Earlier this year, my Grandma Engler gave all of her grandchildren some money and asked us to buy something that would remind us of her. Sarah and I spent a lot of time thinking of what would be just the right thing. We decided that we would really like to have a nice set of vintage china (something we didn't register for when we got married) so since then we've been looking at antique malls for "the pattern." Yesterday we were doing some Christmas shopping and stopped at the Brass Armadillo, a local antique mall. While we were there we found two partial sets of Noritake china, Sarah wrote down the names of the patterns and we decided to do some online research to see how hard it would be to find additional pieces. After some checking this morning, I found a more complete set of the pattern that I really liked for a great price on eBay. So I bought it, some extra dinner plates, and I plan to go back to the antique mall to get what they had there.
We were really going for a mid-century-modern-vintage look and I think we hit it on the mark with this pattern. It is called "Helene" and was made by Noritake from 1955 to 1961. I'm really excited about them and it makes me feel really good to know we can think about Grandma Engler whenever we have a special meal.
As an added bonus, I'm going to be able to install the old kitchen cabinets in the basement so we will have a great storage place for we're not using them!

5 comments:

Kathy said...

What a great idea. I am sure Mom will be pleased. You ought to print this off and send it to her so she can see the pictures.

Project Man said...

That is such a thoughtful way to keep Grandma in your memory. Good job! I really like the pattern and it so cool that you can nail down the dates it was manufactured!

Anonymous said...

I love the china you selected, and it's great that you have a special person associated with it.

We have Steve's maternal grandma's china, which, oddly enough, was apparently made in Japan. (It's not as fancy as Noritake; the pattern is "Doral" and the manufacturer is Arlen.)

Anyway, I often like the old stuff better than a lot of the new stuff.

Katie said...

I have Gran's snowflake china. It's blue and white and really dainty. I rarely use it but like having it!

Anonymous said...

did you guys use any other site to find matching pieces? i have a set i got at a goodwill for $20 for 4 place settings and serveware - apparently each plate it worth $20 b/c it's vintage, but i'd like to find some matches for it.