Thursday, February 02, 2006

the ups & downs of volunteering

Like every other Thursday, tonight we volunteered at the animal shelter (STAF). Usually when we get there we spend the first 5 or 10 minutes get updates on our favorite kitties. Since we are usually taking care of the more "fragile" cats, illness and injury are a regular occurrence.
Tonight when I got to our second room, I noticed right away that two of my favorites were missing. Katsy and Gale Ann were both in the vet room (where they keep any cats that need more constant supervision), so I had to go check on them. I found out they are going to be fine, but I missed seeing them in their regular spots. When I got to our third room, there was a note posted that Silly Billy had passed away on January 24, he had liver cancer that was too far advanced to treat. Fortunately, the rest of our rooms were event free and we even had some kitten additions to one room.
The picture above is one of my hallway favorites, Bette Midler (AKA The Divine Ms. "M"). Here's a link to the other adoptable cats at STAF right now. Be sure to check out O'Conner & O'Shea, the two newcomers to our rooms.
So even with bittersweet nights like this one, after a year of working with STAF, I have to say it is definitely worth it.

5 comments:

um... yeah... said...

too cute. tasha wants cat and can't have one b/c they travel too much. oh, and she's allergic. so i suggested maybe they get their animal fix by volunteering now and then when they're not travelling.

i love that you shared this. :)

Katie said...

I like Otis. He reminds me of Bo. So sad that he is FIV+!!

Project Man said...

The Divine Miss M strikes a very royal pose.......

Anonymous said...

have we all gone cat and dog crazy?

sarah said...

Yes we have Tim! Will you show this to Mom and Gran, please? Thanks!