Wednesday, February 01, 2006

M R I don't know

I saw the hand doctor today, and the good news is that the MRI showed that I don't have a tear in the cartilage between my wrist and hand. That means that I won't have to have surgery. The bad news is that the doctor doesn't know what's causing the pain. The MRI did show some inflammation, so we're going to treat it with prescription-strength Ibuprofin and a wrist splint for 4 to 6 weeks to see if it improves. My wrist is so small, though, that I may have to have a splint made in order for it to work properly (the over-the-counter size small was too big). They're supposed to call me with a cost on that tomorrow. If that doesn't help, the doctor might try a cortisone shot. I'll let you know how it's feeling.

3 comments:

Project Man said...

Overall ~ this is good news. I know that those braces work well for carpal tunnel syndrome and I hava a strap that I place on my forearm that helps reduce the pain caused by tennis elbow. I hope you isolate the problem and it goes away.

Anonymous said...

Ugh, I was afraid this would happen. I hate it when they don't have an "answer," don't you?! Here's hoping the brace helps... Hang in there :)

Anonymous said...

I sure hope they can find out what is wrong. It is frustrating when you have pain and they can't find the cause. Hope the brace helps. It did when Dad had carpel tunnel.