Tuesday, February 07, 2006

I always miss the good ones...

So yesterday I was out of my office for a meeting and I missed the incident of the week.
One of our customers was coming through first the drive thru lane at my banking center. This is the lane that has the drawer that the teller pulls out for the customer to put their transaction in. This particular customer (let's call her "Pat") had to step out of her car to put her transaction in the drawer. My teller was trying not to hit Pat's car door, so she stopped the drawer. As she did this, Pat puts her hand into the drawer and it closes on her finger and scraped it. At this point, I would hope that most of us would say, "Ow, I scraped my finger. That hurt a little, but I guess I shouldn't have tried to put my hand in a moving metal drawer. I'll have to get a band aid when I get home." But not Pat. She proceeds to come into the branch and sits down in my Relationship Manager's (Mary) office. Mary offers her a tissue to clean up the one drop of blood that this accident produced. Mary then asks her if there is anything that she can do for her. Pat says, "I think you need to call 911." After holding back laughter, Mary realizes that Pat is serious and so she calls the local dispatch unit. Paramedics are called to the "scene" and proceed to take her vitals and treat the injury with a regular size bandage. They discover that Pat's primary doctor is across the street and ask her if she would like to go there for further treatment. Pat said, "No, I think I need to go to the EMERGENCY ROOM!" She then asked the paramedics that if they took her to the hospital, would she receive immediate care. They said no, because it is not an EMERGENCY. So Pat gets in the ambulance and the paramedics drive her to the hospital.
So this is what really goes on in the world of retail banking. I love it, but I always hate to miss out on these experiences with my staff.

5 comments:

Katie said...

You have got to be kidding. That sounds like one of Matt's stories. All I can see in 5/3rds future is LAWSUIT. She took care to make sure she had all the bases covered.

Project Man said...

Can you say ambulance chaser....?

Anonymous said...

Sounds like the lady with the coffee at McDonalds with dollar signs in her eyes!!

Anonymous said...

I second Katie, Stan, and Mrs. W.

All I could think of was the "hot-coffee" lawsuit at McDonald's--and that "finger" fiasco at Wendy's! People are wacko!

kevin said...

I will keep everyone posted as to if we hear from "Pat" again.