Friday, May 15, 2009

libby update

Libby is changing daily, it seems, so I thought I'd share a few of her recent milestones and preferences.

She's pulling up to a standing position by grabbing onto lots of different things now—her crib, the sofa, her toy organizer, her music table, the dog's collar. She's also still really into waving, and she loves clapping. Now all you have to say is, "Yay," and she smiles and claps her little hands together. Yesterday, we were sitting on the front porch, waiting for Daddy to come home from his second business trip in the past two weeks. When his car pulled up and she registered that he was inside, she let out a really loud squeal, and started clapping and saying, "Dadadada." It was so incredibly sweet. I don't think "Dada" could ever ask for a better welcome home.

She's also (finally!) eating off a spoon willingly. As I hoped, it just clicked one day when I was feeding her pureed spinach, and she's been opening up for bites ever since. She really likes to feed herself, too, so I've been trying to give her more finger foods, including small pieces of banana, cantalope, even waffles. This has made my life so much easier and was a wonderful Mother's Day surprise.

Libby is also developing some clear opinions about what she likes and dislikes. She likes toilets, dog food bowls, Casey, waving, clapping and biting me with that sharp little tooth when she's done nursing. She dislikes having her diaper changed, taking medicine, having her nose sucked out or wiped and being confined.

Grandma Whitman is down for a visit with Libby today, so hopefully Libby isn't giving her any trouble. Kevin and I are supposed to go on a date tonight while she watches Libby—the first time we'll have gone out alone since our anniversary in September, so I'm crossing my fingers that they have a good day together and that bedtime goes off without a hitch!

4 comments:

Katie said...

There is something new with her every week now...it keeps things around here interesting. Let's hope next week her new thing is napping well again!

Kathy said...

Libby & I had a great day Friday and although she didn't go to sleep at bedtime until after they left for their date, she was asleep before they got to the restaurant and I let them know so they could relax. I think they had a good time.

Susan said...

I have to say--I don't like having my nose wiped or being confined, either... but I do NOT share her great love of toilet bowls. :)

Amanda said...

Yay! I'm so glad she's eating off a spoon...now if she can teach Maddox how to drink from a sippy cup...