Wednesday, February 04, 2009

the saddest day


Kenzie is going to make his journey to the Rainbow Bridge tomorrow. He's been slowly declining the past week and a half, and it's time to let him go. He's having trouble walking, can't jump or climb, and is unsteady even when he stands. He likely has a brain tumor, and both of his vets agree that this is the best course of action. His heart is weak, and it would be cruel to subject him to testing. Plus, there would likely be little we could do for him even if we did confirm the diagnosis. He's still in good spirits and can eat and use the litterbox, though, so we decided to do this now, before he feels pain and becomes confused and unhappy. Kevin and I are taking vacation tomorrow and Amanda is watching Libby. We have a vet appointment at noon.

I'm home today and am trying to spend lots of time with Kenzie and give him all his favorite things. I slept in and cuddled with him this morning. I got out all his favorite blankets and am helping him settle in under his favorite heat vents. Tonight, I plan to make fish for dinner so that he can have a little, and I'll give him some milk and cheese tomorrow. And we've been giving him lots and lots of canned food, which he loves. Mostly, though, he just wants to sit with us and snuggle.

Needless to say, we're heartbroken. This little guy has been my constant pal, my unconditional little love for the past decade. He stole my heart when he was just 5 weeks old and has made me happy every day since. Please send us lots of love tomorrow and pray that Kenzie has a happy, peaceful day.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Sarah! I'm so sorry. Thinking of you and your family.

Kathy said...

Sarah, I am so sorry, I know how much Kenzie means to you. We will be thinking of you all tomorrow.

Kara Gebhart Uhl said...

Oh, I'm so, so very sorry. Take care.

Pam said...

We're so sorry about Kenzie. We know how hard it is to lose a pet. We will be thinking of you tomorrow.

Unknown said...

Oh Sarah, I'm so sorry. I know how much this hurts.

jean said...

Oh Sarah, I'm so sorry. I know how much you love your pets (your furry kids) b/c Katie & I would talk about 'pet kids' when we worked together. I know you will miss him. I hope you take comfort in the fact that he's had a WONDERFUL life - MUCH better than anyone else could ever give him.

Project Man said...

Sarah & Kevin,
I am at a loss for words. Having a pet in declining health, and limited time with us, makes me even more sympathetic to those who are about to lose a faithful companion. I have told our Molly more than once that she is the first person I want to see when I get there. I think you understand.
Love, Dad

Candy said...

Our time of loss has now come, we grieve for your Kenzie and for our Molly.
They are playing at Rainbow Bridge together today.