Saturday, December 06, 2008

libby three months


I thought we were due for an update on what Libby is up to lately.

Noises. She's been making more and more noises, including little laughs, coos and squeals. She also blows raspberries now, which leads us to the next thing ...

Spitting. If there were a market for baby drool, we could bottle it and make a fortune. She's been drooling, spitting and chewing on her hands 24/7. We go through many bibs each day.

Smiling. Miss Libby is all smiles these days, as I'm sure you've noticed in her pictures. Her face lights up whenever she sees us or Aunt Katie. We can't get enough of her big, open-mouthed grin and little chuckles!

Diaper Rash. We're still battling diaper rash. During one diaper change her bottom will look perfect, then it's raging red the next. We use Aquaphor to prevent it and diaper rash ointment to soothe it when it flares up, but she's just got a sensitive little bottom. We had lofty goals of using more natural, environmentally friendly diapers, but we've joined the masses of Pampers users, as they seem to keep her the most dry.

Dry Skin. With the cold weather, Libby's skin has turned very dry and patchy. I fear that she, like every one of my friends' babies, might have eczema. I've been lathering her up with lotion after her baths, but I plan to consult the doctor about it at her 4-month check up December 19th. For those of you with babies with eczema, I'd love any advice about what you do/use for your babies. We love our Burt's Bees products, but I'm guessing we may have to switch to something more soothing. We do have a humidifier attached to our new furnace.

Grabbing. Libby has started reaching for things and grasping them in her hands. The toys dangling from her play mat, her washcloth in the bathtub, my bowl of peppermint ice cream this afternoon, my hair. I'm excited for her to start grasping toys because I think she'll be able to entertain herself a little better when she's hanging out on her own.

Growing. I'm so excited to see how much Libby has gained and grown in the past two months. This week she moved up to level 2 bottle nipples and size 2 diapers. She's still wearing 3-month clothing, but I have a feeling we'll be breaking out the 3 to 6 month wardrobe soon. I don't want her to get big too fast, but it's very gratifying to see the fruits of all my breastfeeding and pumping efforts.

Sleeping (Sporadically). We're perplexed about Libby's sleep habits. She goes to sleep easily at night, but on the nights when Kevin is traveling, she hasn't been able to stay asleep. It took me several hours to get her to sleep the nights he was gone last week, resulting in three consecutive nights of 3 to 4 hours of sleep for me. By Thursday when he came home I was a zombie and ended up with a mild stomach bug and a cold. Yet she's gone to bed easily and slept through the night since Thursday. We've hypothesized with Katie about a dozen different factors that could be affecting her, but we really don't know. If Kevin's presence has that strong of an effect on her it's really sweet, but we're both kind of hoping that's not it, since he's traveling again this week.

Standing. Libby has never liked to lay back and act like a little baby, but lately she likes "standing" more and more. She loves it when we grasp her hands and pull her into a sitting, then standing, position. I wouldn't be surprised if she was one of those kids who skipped crawling and just got up and walked one day!

6 comments:

Candy said...

Speaking of eczema, Connor's seems to be disappearing Melissa used Aquafor and Eucerin.

Mel said...

SAS has had some diaper rash issues too. Dr Z said to try using Lotrimin, the athlete's foot ointment. I was a little nervous at first but it really works! Clears it up overnight just about every time!

Susan said...

FWIW....

We used Lotrimin when Katie had a yeast infection. For stubborn diaper rashes, we would mix Desitin with Ammens Medicated Powder. It did the trick.

I don't think I blogged about it, but Katie had eczema on the insides of her elbows for months. Finally, we took her to the ped and learned what it was. A prescription cream cleared it up, but we also were advised to use Dreft for her laundry, only Dove Sensitive Skin (liquid) for soap, and a mild Suave shampoo. They told us that Aquaphor would help retain moisture, but not actually moisturize. Our ped recommended moisturizing with Cetaphil twice daily.

We never tried any eco-diapers, but we loved Pampers Cruisers.

Katie said...

My 2 cents. I've read in a few places about mixing aquaphor with Malox. Apparantly the malox helps if acidic poop is the problem.

Eczema - I still have crap tons of Aquaphor mixed with cortisone cream. If it ends up being that, you can have more. We only use Aquaphor baby wash too and I think that helps. Basically the less dies and chemicals the better.

Katie said...

Also, her hat is pretty darn cute!

Amanda said...

Isn't it just amazing how quickly they change?! After awhile it's just routine to wipe the drool off the baby with your hand and wipe it on your own jeans...FYI - Maddox uses Aquaphor religiously and has only minor flare ups here and there.