Thursday, October 09, 2008

itzbeen awesome


As a new mom, I've already discovered a few products that make my life so much easier. Here, Libby will model all three while I explain why we love them so much.

Itzbeen Timer. This tiny tool has four different buttons you can use to either time how long you've done something, such as fed the baby or changed her diaper, or you can set each as an alarm to remind you to do something, such as dispense medicine. It also has a clock, a flashlight, and a little switch you can use to remind yourself which breast to start with the next time you nurse. It even has a clip for easy carrying. At first I used it mostly as an alarm to take my own medicine, since I was taking pain medication every 6 hours and blood pressure medicine every 8 hours. Then we used it to keep track of Libby's diaper rash medicine applications. Now I use it religiously to time how long Libby nurses and how long it's been since she last ate. Day or night, this little gadget is always within arm's reach.

Boppy. Some people think the Boppy, a crescent shaped pillow used primarily for nursing, is a waste of money. I think it's one of the best inventions yet. It's so helpful to have support not only across your lap for the baby, but by your sides to prop up your arms as they support your baby's head. We use ours all day long, and we love the soft cover Doug and Sue bought for us. It's also great to lay your baby in, and it's supportive when they first learn to sit up since it wraps around behind them to cushion them when they tip over.

Zippered Sleepers. I quickly learned that zippers are so much easier to maneuver than snaps when you're trying to change your baby in the middle of the night without turning a bright light on. Why don't more sleepers zip?

5 comments:

Mel said...

OK, so now I really want an Itzbeen timer!! & Jamiel hated the snap sleepers when Maddie was a baby. Those things are hard to snap up in the daylight, let alone at 3a.m. :)

Amanda said...

I can't live without my Boppy! If I visit my mom and dad and forget to bring it I get so mad at myself! I'm still using mine - and Maddox is 6 months old!

Katie said...

The reason more sleepers don't zip is becuase you have to freeze the baby to death in the winter when you unzip the whole thing. This isn't relevant to Libby since she's a Summer gal! I actually found that cheaper brands are the ones that usually have zippers. I love the pic of Libs, btw. Her cute smirk is killer!

Susan said...

Holy cow--look at how big she has gotten! She looks like a completely different baby, just since the last "Watch me grow" pic! (Still cute as can be, too...)

Kathy said...

I'm glad you have found things that are helpful. Libby is growing like a weed. She is so cute. Can't wait till she comes to Grandma & Grandpa's house.