Saturday, February 09, 2008

Our Baby This Week

I get an e-mail from Baby Center that describes the baby's development each week. I thought you guys might enjoy hearing about how the baby is growing each week, too, so I'll start posting the weekly summary here. Enjoy.

12 Weeks
The most dramatic development this week: Reflexes. Your baby's fingers will soon begin to open and close, his toes will curl, his eye muscles will clench, and his mouth will make sucking movements. In fact, if you prod your abdomen, your baby will squirm in response, although you won't be able to feel it. His intestines, which have grown so fast that they protrude into the umbilical cord, will start to move into his abdominal cavity about now, and his kidneys will begin excreting urine into his bladder. From crown to rump, your baby-to-be is just over two inches long (about the size of a lime) and weighs half an ounce.

4 comments:

Kathy said...

Sarah,

How neat is that?? I will look forward to the updates. It is amazing what they know these days. We never even had an ultrasound back in "the old days".

Susan said...

I love how BabyCenter always compares the kid to some kind of produce! LOL

Mostly, I can't wait for the 20-week ultrasound so I'll know what kind of clothes to start buying...!

Unknown said...

Cool! Can't wait to hear all about your little one as he/she grows. Hope you are feeling well.

Candy said...

Baby Center is a great resource for new families, and old ones too, (like grandparents!)
Looking at my children's ultrasound pictures, looks more like a tad pole.

I look forward to the weekly updates.