Monday, January 22, 2007

A Long Winter's Nap

I know Whitman's Sampler has been in hibernation much of January, but we've been super busy as usual. The week before last, Dad came to visit and was able to spend 2 nights with us and 2 nights with Katie. It was so nice to see him without an agenda, and of course we kept him busy with (unexpected) projects (more on that later from Kevin). I was sad to see him leave, but it's nice to know that he'll be back in a few months with Candy when Baby Hulme is born. The day that Dad arrived, Kevin's parents passed through town on the way to Florida, so we all had dinner and Kevin got to show off our new kitchen. It was nice for Dad, Keith and Kathy to see each other in person since they keep in touch by reading each other's blogs.

That weekend I spent nearly 9 hours shopping for and making Katie's baby shower invitations. It was fun, though, and they're so cute, IMHO. I've gotten lots of compliments on them, and they really set the theme for the shower (ABCs), so I'm pleased. Katie really likes them, too, which is what matters most. Shower preparations will keep me busy the next few weekends, but I like doing that kind of stuff and want to pace myself so I don't have a hundred things to do the weekend of the shower.

This past weekend we relaxed a lot and watched 4 movies. Saturday night we had a "fiesta" at home and made enchiladas, pico de gallo and guacamole; drank sangria; ate fried ice cream; and watched "Nacho Libre." It was a good winter's night en mi casa. Sunday we woke up to 3 or 4 inches of snow, the first accumulation of the season. Kevin got to use his snowblower, I did laundry and we made a big pot of vegetable soup. And watched more movies.

Tonight, Katie and Matt are coming over to eat pizza and watch the new "Heroes." I can't wait!

7 comments:

Candy said...

Dad enjoyed his visit too, and we look forward to April!

Anonymous said...

I was going to email you re: the invitation. I wondered if you made them or bought them. Now I know!

Anyway, they ARE really cool... I love the three-dimensionality (is that a word?) of the design.

And that Mexi-feast sounds divine. I think I need a snack...

Katie said...

I love the invites too! And, Heros is so addictive. Pizza Hut rocks too!!

sarah said...

Thanks Susan!

sarah said...

Au contraire Katie—Pizza Hut sucks! But Heroes rocks. It was fun hanging out with you last night. We should do it more often.

Project Man said...

Dad had a great time hanging out with his girls too! We were very successful with the unexpected projects.

The invitations are awesome. Sarah ~ maybe you missed your ultimate calling......"Designer Invitations".

Candy said...

Sarah the invitations are very professional looking and mean so much because they were made from the heart!
Good job, as always.