Thursday, September 13, 2007

Dog Daze with the Reds

Last night Sarah and I took Gilmore to his first Cincinnati Reds game! The local SPCA hosted an event where dogs and their owners could get into the park, parade around the field, and watch the ball game in their own section. We all loved it, especially Gilmore. He is such a social dog and this wound up being a very social event for all of us. We met Bryn and Rob with their dog Wrigley (who switched from a Cubs fan to a Reds fan for the night). Before the game they had several different dog contests, but since Gilmore wouldn't be the biggest or the smallest and he doesn't enjoy costumes, we didn't enter him. We paraded around the entire field with the other 248 dogs and finally found our way to our seats. As we were sitting down Sarah realized that she used to work with the person sitting next to us so they enjoyed getting caught up on life. While they were talking I glanced down about five rows and saw my cousin Ryan, who lives in Columbus. He is a big Reds fan and heard about the Dog Zone so he came down with his dog, Bosco. It was great to see him and catch up. We exchanged phone numbers so next time he comes down we can get together.
Then our friends Tricia and Michelle showed up Tricia was checking out a very cute rescue from the SPCA named Wendy. I told her they would look very cute "walking down the streets of the city, smiling at everybody she sees." We'll see, finding the perfect pet is a big decision...
I've posted some pictures here and you can see that we had a great time. Hopefully they will put this event on next year, I think it was a huge success. Gilmore is ready for us to "take him out to the ball game" again!!



4 comments:

Kathy said...

Gilmore looked like he was having a great time with all the other dogs. I am so glad that you ran into Ryan. I hope he calls you the next time he is there. We stopped at the humane shelter in Defiance last night and as we went in I told Dad, "We are just looking, we aren't taking any dog home tonight." Then I saw Clive. He was black about the same height as Gilmore, but looked like a black lab. The most beautiful brown expressive eyes. Even though all the dogs were barking he never made a sound. He licked our hands and just looked up at us with those expressive eyes. When we left, Dad said, "Is this the girl who said we are just looking and no dogs tonight?" He was right. If we were not leaving on vacation next week, I would have taken Clive home.

Unknown said...

Too cute and it looks like you guys had fun. I never heard of this before but what a great idea.

Unknown said...

where are you guys? been checking for updates but haven't found any. just kidding. lol

Anonymous said...

Mom told me about your blog and how me and Bosco were on it. We had so much fun and what a wonderful treat it was to run into you guys at the game. I can't wait till spring training starts and then regular season. I am definitely going to call and before coming down and hopefully spend some quality time with my family in southern Ohio.